Oct 9, 2009

Rock en Espanol Vs. Afro Beat

Two pieces I did that are similar to the others in my music series. I did these waaay later though. Julieta (from Tijuana, MX)is dope, and if you dont know here shit, you must go look her up because I saw her in person at "La Pena" in Berkeley back before the LP "Si" came out, before she blew up and I was super impressed, I still am. I heard her for the first time on a road trip and the song that caught me was "Seria Feliz", then "Casa Abandonada". I love her first LP, "Bueninvento", and "Si",I'm still trying to get into "Limon y Sal". Someone to watch out for is the very talented Ceci Bastida (Tijuana No) who plays on a lot of Julieta's recent LP's. This dude, I can't stress his impact on the world's music. My dad listened to Fela and as a result I grew up hearing his stuff, seeing his concert tapes in Nigeria. The brotha has countless jams, his son Femi is dope. The one that sticks out the most is still the same..."Water no get Enemy". And "Teacher dont teach me no nonsense".You can hear the influence in groups such as Breakestra and Antibalas, it sounds so beautiful, no?. What about Analogue Africa? Another story.....soon come.

Did you see these drawings of Nneka, Raphael Saadiq, and Oumou Sangare?

No comments: