Aug 27, 2020

Blaxican Sticker

The first time I heard the term "Blaxican" was from journalist and writer Walter Thompson. I'm not sure if he coined the term but he put together a project called "Blaxicans of LA" that made me feel seen. I grew up seeing these Black and Mexican folks, their parents, kids, and their families. It's not a secret that Black and Brown folks have been making babies for ages. From California to the South, the midwest and the East Coast.

For this image I thought it would be dope to juxtapose Papel Picado (historic Mexican art form ) with an outline of the continent of Africa where humanity originated. If you're Black and Mexican please let me know if I did this justice. If you approve please cop two. One for you and one for a friend. Thanks for reading. Just out here trying my best to make work that means something to me culturally.

3" x 3" Paper Sticker
Cop one HERE

No comments: