Oct 7, 2013

Switchplates October

Some new joints for the month of October, new section coming soon to follow. And for folks who want to know a bit more about how I paint these, here are some process photos for any and everyone interested in making their own switch plates for gifts or to sell.
The first thing you will need are acrylic or plastic switch plates. You can purchase these at any hardware store usually. I use these plastic ones and I scratch the surfaces up real good so the paint will adhere well.
The second thing I look for is color and inspiration. I keep several files of photos I take, scraps I find, images, illustrations, textures, whatever that inspires me visually. And I usually base my patterns or designs off of those. 

Next thing you will need are tools. I use various brush sizes to apply paint with large broad strokes or tiny details. The paint brands I use vary, but I generally use acrylic because it dries within minutes. A rule of thumb is to get something that is affordable and long lasting (ie: it wont break in a day or become useless, but won't cost you a month of groceries). Feel free to use whatever you like though, you can use spray paint, oil, acrylic, pastel, glue and collage-whatever. As long as it looks fly to you and the recipient can use it.

Now, when you paint. You want to get a palette to hold the paint while you mix it. It can be a glass plate, old cereal box, or fancy plastic palette. Anything that gets the job done! 
You start painting by adding a base layer, which is a light coat. Let it fully dry. Then you add pattern elements in coates or add color slowly one at a time. I generally mix colors one base at a time and it varies from 3-10 layers of pattern or detail. Make sure you cover all the switch. Let each layer dry before adding a new layer.  When you are done you can add a gel medium matte or gloss to protect the painted layer.
And voila, you have a hand painted gift or unique art piece to sell. 






No comments: