Jul 20, 2020

Afros - Coffee Table Photo book

This is a dope book by photographer Michael July self published around 2014 I believe. 

There are many shots of incredibly beautiful people in this book from all over the world who just happened to be on the planet Brooklyn for awhile.It was a humid and rainy day in Brooklyn. I was painting murals on plywood with my crew "Trust Your Struggle" at Afro Punk Festival. I think it was 2008 because it was before our US Mural tour. Michael came up to me and asked if he could shoot me adding that he was working on a book about "Afro's". It's so great to look back at this time, living in Brooklyn was a beautiful experience. This festival was like none I'd ever experienced.

I encourage you to get the book, check out the photos, read the intro by scholar Li Sumpter, and the quotes about the beauty and pride in our hair.

Here are a few more shots:
Blue Nefertitti


Cody Chesnut


Li Sumpter


Terence Nance

Toure

Did you see my post about Jamel Shabazz or Roy DeCarava?


No comments: