Mar 13, 2017

Who is She? 27 - Kara Walker

Kara was born in Stockton California in 1969. She grew up there until she went to college at Atlanta College or Art, and later Rhode Island School of Design. She is currently a professor at Columbia in NYC. The first time I saw Kara's work was at Parsons in New York City while finishing up my BFA there. Her piece "event horizon" caught my eye and it wasn't until I was taken on a tour of art galleries in Chelsea that I saw an entire show of her work. There I was blown away because I'd never seen someone do art like that. I kept wondering how the hell she got these uppity art folks to let her get down like that, speaking on racism and the treatment of Black folks in such a in your face, no apologies, satirical way. Kara has worked as a painter, but she's best known for the paper cut outs she's done. Most recently, her show "Domio Sugar" had hella people I know posting about its use of similar subject matter and the scale to which she took the sculptures. She's had over 40 solo exhibitions in places like Oakland, Austria, The UK, Spain, Italy, and so many other places across the U.S. 

You can purchase this piece. Email me at info@robdontstop.com 8"x8" mixed media on paper
Sources: Art 21, Wikipedia, WalkerArt.org

No comments: