Aug 13, 2018

Short story 23 - Record store


On Sunday Papa and I walked to the record store. I never seen him so happy to go to a store before. He kept whistling and smiling. Then he turned to me and said 
 "When I was a kid, your Grandpa would bring me here. It's like a library of sounds from all over the world!". 

This illustration of a father and son walking is special because Amoeba Records in Berkeley was and still is a haven for weird sound lovers like me. I walked there from Berkeley High at lunch weekly looking for new and old hip hop records, samples, drum breaks, and jazz albums. It is a cultural landmark. And although I've been to the SF and LA locations, Berkeley is home. Go if you haven't been recently and see what you can find to pull you away from your screen. Have you been to Amoeba in Berkeley? What's the last thing you bought there?

It has been almost 4 years since I completed a "short story". And i've worked on so many children's books and art projects since then which is part of why I paused them. I started working on these to practice my writing and illustration. 

Wanna see more?


No comments: