Feb 18, 2016

Blake Brockington- Black is Beautiful 16

"When you're trans it just means that your sex assigned at birth doesn't match the gender you identify with". -Blake 
I just came to know who Blake was, and from what I can tell he was a very strong young man, he came out to his family and friends about who he was as a teenager in North Carolina. He was also the first trans boy ever in the state to be crowned home coming king, which is no small achievement. I didn't know him and won't pretend to know his whole story, but I know that he championed trans rights and was a role model for other youth who were trans, lesbian, gay, etc. And I know that living with the ignorance, stupidity, and hate of others that simply being himself was hard and it shouldn't have to be. 
"Nobody should be scared to be themselves, and everybody should have an equal opportunity to have an enjoyable high school experience". -Blake
Blake committed suicide. I don't know why, but I suspect it had something to do with a lack of support and positive encouragement. I salute you Blake by painting your image in the hopes that someone who is not aware of trans youth struggles will be a tiny bit more aware, or that someone questioning their gender or sexuality will know they are not alone. Please read more at http://www.advocate.com/obituaries/2015/03/24/trans-teen-activist-homecoming-king-dies


No comments: