Feb 26, 2018

Penny Candy Books Anthology - It's out!


So I can finally write about and show y'all a bit of the process for my recent piece in the Penny Candy Books release "13 Ways of looking at a Black boy". This is a great book! It's hardbound, about 30 pgs total, and matte color finished. The book is an anthology of artists who each get a piece of Tony Medina's poem about Black Boys. Tony Medina is a dope poet from NYC that has not only published a bunch of poetry books, but he's also published many picture books, and his graphic novel "I am Alfonso Jones". The artists that Penny Candy picked are an awesome array of experience and technique. There are digital illustration, collage, oil, watercolor, acrylic, and ink. Here is my piece.
Here you can see a bit of process.I generally start with thumbnails, then move on to refined sketches and color ideas. Once those are approved I paint!
If you're interested in getting a new book for your classroom, office, school, or library please support this company and the story. Also, check out the amazing artists featured in the book. 





No comments: