Sep 5, 2021

Inspiring Artist - Elizabeth Catlett (1915 - 2012)

 

I went to see a show of Ms Elizabeth Catlett's work several years ago at MOAD in San Francisco and I've been a fan ever since. I think I saw an image of hers in a book and was just intrigued by her style. She draw, painted, printed, and sculpted as far as I know. And my god she and is dope! She lived from 1915-2012 , born in Washington DC and passed away in Mexico. I love how some of her drawings are super realistic and others are quite exaggerated in style. Her work illustrated Black and indigenous folks in a pride stance. She also was an activist and organizer so you get to see some of her thoughts on race and class in her work. You can read more about her life and her work in this recently published website of her life and her work: https://www.elizabethcatlettart.com/

Yo, if you're new: This is where I share artists that have been inspiring to me in my work sometimes directly and other times indirectly. Again go to her site and check her out. 
                                                       





The artist at work!




I still have this image up in my bedroom and love looking at Elizabeth Catlett's work. 

If you missed the previous artist who I think is inspiring please check out Olivia Fields. Still looking for more inspiration? Check out this board of people, places, and tings that inspire me here.

There was one on Mattahan/Paul Davey too.



No comments: