Oct 6, 2015

Inktober 5- Ava DuVernay



This is an Inktober drawing of film maker Ava DuVernay using brush, ink, a little bit of water color, and some white pastel. The reason I'm drawing Ava is because she has been a tremendous creative influence on me. Both her work in creating and promoting films has been humble, tough, creative, and incredible. And although I only became aware of her once she did the Hip Hop documentary "This is the Life" about The Good Life Cafe in Leimert Park, I feel like I've watched watched her grow so much. I'm not going to give you her whole story, you can google that for yourself, but I will say her contributions to the medium of storytelling through film have been amazing. If you are not familiar with her film work, google her. If you are not familiar with Array/ Affirm distribution model for independent Black films, look that up too. I promise you will be inspired. Middle of Nowhere, The Door, , Vermont is for Lovers too, Venus Vs, and Selma are my favorite pieces of hers so far. Can't wait to see what she does next whether it is quiet or loud.

Dig this? Check out this portrait of Kasi Lemmons



No comments: