Oct 1, 2012

Re-Thinking Schools Magazine

Big thanks to my homie Melanie who hooked me up with the art director for Rethink Schools Magazine. Rethink is a magazine with great resource for educators. I had never heard of it until I was contacted about doing an illustration for it. But I'm glad I found it. I'm glad they exist because they cover a lot of issues with race while offering many resources for educators. For example, racism, ethnic studies, teaching techniques, bi-lingual education, etc. In this issue theres short article about the action that happened here in the Bay Area at Lakeview Elementary. The author whose piece mine was paired with writes about what its like to teach her students about slavery. The article talks about what its like to constantly learn about your history through defeat. Waahida Mbatha wrote it and talks about how she has sought to redefine how she teaches African and African American history. A very interesting read. If you’d like to support ReThink Schools, you can get the magazine here.

No comments: