Nov 27, 2013

Jazz Collage: Portraits & Typography (2010-2013)


Here is a collage of most of the portraits and type I did over the past two or three years related to Jazz Musicians of the past and present. I cannot remember how I started this but I do remember wanting to try out some things whether they failed or worked. Weird styles, different color patterns, some of my favorites, etc, etc. Anyways, like many I found jazz through hip hop and for that I am truly grateful. It not only opened my mind to a different musical patterns, but different religions, philosophies, and world views.

Portraits: Lto R : Cassandra Wilson, Madlib, Etta James, Roy Ayers, Meshell Ndegeocello, Oliver Nelson, Amel Larrieux, John Coltrane, Dorothy Ashby, Nujabes, Freestyle Fellowship, Patrice Rushen, Bobbi Humphrey, Headnodic, Esperanza Spalding, Pharoah Sanders, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Jose James, Abbey Lincoln, Dizzy Gillespie, Muhsinah, Mulatu Astatke, Eligayehu "Gigi" Shibabaw, Jneiro Jarel, Celia Cruz

Type: L to R: A-Amel Larrieux, B-Bebel Gilberto, C-Coltrane, D-Digable Planets, E-Esperanza Spalding, F-Freddie Joachim, G-Guru, H-Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, I-Invisible Skratch Piklz, J-Jneiro Jarel, K-Kat 010, L-Linda Oh, M-Miles Davis, N-Nina Simone, O-Oliver Nelson, P-Pancho Sanchez, Q-Quadron, R-Robert Glasper, S-Stuyvesants, T-Thelonius monk, U-Ulysses Owens Jr, V-Vinia Mojica, W-Wayne Shorter, X- nadie, Y-Yesterdays New Quintet, Z-Zelia Barbosa

 Some of my favorite songs from over the many Jazz posts are: and disclaimer, you might not think of some of these cuts as Jazz, but they are to me. Look out for more Jazz artwork and Posters soon.

John Coltrane-Aisha
Patrice Rushen-Before the dawn
Mulatu Astatke-Tezeta
Meshell Ndegeocello-Aquarium
Madlib-Dear God and Stepping into Tomorrow
Dorothy Ashby-Drink
Oliver Nelson-Stolen Moments
Zelia Barbosa-Pedro Dina
Amel Larrieux-We can be new
Roy Ayers-Aint got time
Bobbi Humphrey-My little girl
Headnodic-Something feat Rashaan Ahmad
Donald Byrd-Places and spaces
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble-Sankofa
Vinia Mojica-Sands of time
Digable Planets-Pacifics (NY is red hot)
Robert Glasper-FTB

If you would like to see who else I drew or painted click the tags "Jazz" "typography" and/or "Jazz Portraits"

No comments: