Jul 23, 2018

Type Musical 7 - Play that beat


I painted this with watercolor as part of a series of hand lettered typography related to music.

"Play that beat, why don't you play it for me? Play it! Kick it!" This is an old song from GLOBE and Whiz Kid. I was thinking about some of the first beats that mesmerized me, who made them, and if they still rock today. One of the first beats that made me take notice was "If it ain't ruff, it ain't me" by Dr Dre on the legendary Straight Outta Compton. The guitar sample and bass was so simple yet hypnotic. Another one was "I want to be free" by the legendary Ant Banks because of the samples and the live instruments on it. First time I heard it (on tape) was in a box chevy w/ my cousin Mook and the homie Jerome. In this day in age, who is making beats that really makes you ask "who made that?" Who makes you rewind it back?

If you dug this check out: 
Type Musical- LYRICS

No comments: