Dec 11, 2019

Ethnic Studies in Every School


This is a print of a recent painting I made for the 16th anniversary art show of the "Trust Your Struggle Collective" in Sacramento California. I am a product of Ethnic Studies as I was able to take classes in it at Berkeley High School (California) and at San Francisco State University.

What is Ethnic Studies? To me, it is a chance to learn about history and cultural from a people of color perspective. Typically US and world history is Eurocentric and leaves out a tremendous amount of stories and history from Black, Indigenous Native Americans, Asians, and Latin@s. I believe very strongly that every school from elementary school up to college should have mandatory ethnic studies classes to educate all students.

After being a student, I had the privilege to be a presenter as part of the Trust Your Struggle Collective in the late 2000's Ethnic Studies Conferences held at SFSU.

Check out the close ups below! You want a print? Go here.

Did you take classes in Ethnic studies? If so comment with your experience.





No comments: