Jul 14, 2022

Sam! Cover Art Tools


Hey readers. My name is Rob and I'm a kids book author and illustrator. This is a throwback to the cover design for the book "Sam!" written by poet/parent Dani Gabriel, published by Penny Candy Books, and illustrated by me.

Here are the initial sketches I came up with. One with a scene from the book, and two new ones. 


They chose the 1st idea and this being a relatively quick process I went straight to a refined sketch of that which you see here. For the sketch I typically use a non photo blue pencil, a ruler, a #2 pencil, and an 11" x 17" piece of paper so I can draw the back together as a layout.  


Once everyone signed off on this I use my light box to trace the sketch using a Prismacolor black pencil.

 

 Then I add color using a large flat brush to lay down a wash first then I build up the color slowly from light to dark using the medium flat, the round, and the fine liner . 


I use a bunch of watercolor brands to find the right colors. These are some of them.



When you paint with acrylic or gouache you can layer light over dark, but with watercolor its much harder so you must use light colors first, then darks. This is what. the painting looks like once I've finished. If you get a chance, read the book. Share it with families and check out some of the other books Penny Candy publishes HERE.

Dig this? Check out this post about the cover art of Alejandria Fights Back/ La Lucha de Alejandria

No comments: