May 12, 2023

Freelance Chronicles 8 - Five reasons why I still use business cards

Business cards by Robert Liu-Trujillo

Ok so I have been making business cards with my name, phone number, email, image, and services offered for about 15 years now. How old tech of me right? I get it, there are apps where you can just send someone your contact info, airdrop it, text it, or refer them to your IG I get it. But here are a few reasons why I still keep a business card for introductions. Note: I didn't have a business card during the start of the pandemic because, well I was in the house :/

Hasan Minhaj via GIPHY

1. No phone:

You forgot your phone at home, it got broken, or you lost it. Damn. Sucks, you can tell the person you're talking to your name or write it and your number or email on a napkin but a card might be handy. I've definitely had this happen before.


Brazilian singer Anitta 

2. Phone battery died: 

Have you ever missed a crucial opportunity to show someone your work, get their info, or exchange info but your phone battery died? Try keeping a business card as a back up :) If you had a great conversation, they will want to talk to you again fam. People fake good work, and some put on a good show, but it's harder to fake good vibes or energy. Or you can have them wait while you recharge your phone....

The one and only Prince 

3. Getting away from social media:

I've been on social media for almost 20 years and I have referred people to my (fill in the blank) but I'm getting kind of tired of it honestly. There are some great artists out there using it to the max but I don't want it to become my life. And it started to feel like that a few years ago. These companies found ways to make us addicted and that is not healthy, for me. You?

Also, from experience, I know that these apps come and go. For a few years they're hot, and then people are on to the next thing. And if you're an artist with a smaller but dedicated following you have to build your audience again. So I still use it, but I keep my distance. If you want to step back a bit from social media I think that a curated website, blog, or page is a great place to refer folks to via biz card.

Tessa Thompson

4. Leave them impressed:

Ok, if designed properly with your information, a sample of your art on it, and a print quality that speaks to your esthetic your business card can leave the person holding wanting more. If I get a well made business card that communicates your taste by seeing it and/or touching it I'm going to remember you. It could be done with letterpress, with metal, or a bright color. The point is, leave the holder with a taste of how dope you are.

Tyler the Creator shot by Cam Hicks


5. Control the narrative:

On your card you can provide the basics like your number, email, etc. But, you can also provide them with coordinates to a location. Weird, right? You can put a QR code on it that when read sends them to a song. You could just have a link to a video. There are lots of ways you can control how the holder interacts with or gets to know you and your work. A well crafted and updated website featuring a portfolio of your work is still a tried and true way to do this. Just saying, show them your true self in your way.... 

Back of the business card (w/o my ph number :)


Dig this? Check out my post about how I got 1000 sales on Etsy as an illustrator/author who makes merch!

Who dis? What's this? Hi, my name is Rob and I'm an artist/author from Northern California. Oakland to be specific. I have been working as a freelance artist for over 15 years. I've picked up a few tips on the way and "Freelance Chronicles" is one of the ways I share. Was this helpful? Please share and cop something from my shop. Adios. 

No comments: