Jan 7, 2021

Enter

 


DC mob, summer protests, idiots in govt. The largest strike in India, theft of $ from the people into billionaire's pockets, pandemic, the shifting of power, victories. It's a lot.

In the past I had a quick art response. Lately I've held back (Anyone else felt this lately?). This is a privilege. Some times it's exhaustion. I'm happy to share others work which speak on it. I've been making protest art for awhile but I don't always have the best quote to contribute. My folks know where I stand but I know some younger artists might be trying to figure it out. Me too. I've gotten hella game from OG artists & activists.

I'm trying to make art about what I'm for (Pro -people's control of the wealth they create, choice, queer, reparations, dismantling the US govt as it exists, free health care, women's rights, right to self defense, so many things, teaching actual history, )  Also trying to make a living.

But, if you're pissed off, if you've been connecting the dots, if you're seeing a lack of work in an area that makes you passionate; get involved. 

Homelessness, rights of trans people, fair pay, universal healthcare, abolishing jails/police, teaching how to grow food. Whatever "it" is, That someone who changes it is you. You can't take on the entire world of course.

But YOU can effect your block, school, church, crew, city, etc. Whatever you choose, get specific AF and find others who about that life. When you see others moving like you on another thing, show solidarity. The hyper specific will change and so will you, not just a headline, vibe, or a hashtag. A movement.

If you get burnt out, change up the pace so it's sustainable. Recenter. Remember to enjoy life and then re-enter.

That thing you're passionate about needs your genius, your heart; you. We all do. Enter. Go.
-Rob

Older post to read: Brutality through the years
Black Lives Mural w/ Binta Ayofemi painted in 2020.


No comments: