Jan 8, 2023

Stuff I've Been Listening to 23 - More Jazz

 

Nala Sinephro-space 4 (2021)

I've made a post about Jazz before but its high time for this new one featuring some musicians new and old. Straight ahead, fusion, funk, experimental, and a few things in between. Like Nala for example. I LOVE this track from her Space 1.8 album. She's a harp player who gets it. This one features Nubya Garcia!

R+R=Now - Change of Tone (2018)

This is a super group w/ Robert Glasper, Terrace Martin, Christian aTunde Adjuah, Derrick Hodge, Taylor McFerrin, and Justin Tyson

Bobbi Humphrey- Set me at ease (1975)
OG Bobbi Humphrey on the flute and featuring the Mizell's and Dorothy Ashby

James Mason- Rhythm of life (1977)
Found this joint via Egon and man it grooves!

Esperanza Spalding - Formwela 3 (2021) 
Been following since the myspace days and love how she continues to play and grow

Lonnie Liston Smith-Bridge through time (1980)
You know, Lonnie has so many incredible jams. First heard this through The Conscious Daughters

What is this? This series is called "Stuff I've been listening to" and this is my place to share music that I listen to while I work, process, decompress, and live life. Some of it is new, some old. But I'm always listening. I share in the hopes that you will find something that inspires you. Please share with a fellow music lover.

Emma Jean Thackray-Rain dance/wisdom (2020)
I love how Emma Jean mixes jazz with electronic, house, funk, and hip hop. Shout out to the UK jazz scene!

Horace Silver-I've had a little talk (1972)
Song for my father is one of my all time favorites but when I heard Osunlade play thisssss?!

Destiny Muhammad Trio- Blue in Green (2022)
Destiny is an ILL harpist and vocalist from the Bay Area! Dig how she plays Miles and her own!!

Alfa Mist - Galaxy (2020)
Alfa Mist is an incredible UK producer and piano player, peep this remake of Eddie Henderson's classic

Madison Mcferrin- No time to lose (2017)
Madison is the next in line after Taylor and Bobby to show and prove. She can compose, produce, and sing!!

Did you miss the last installment of this series? 

Stuff I've been listening to 22Instrumentals

Stuff Ive been listening to 21: Raps

Stuff Ive been listening to 17: Soul

Stuff Ive been listening to 19: UK Artists

Stuff Ive been listening to 20: Remixes


Keep listening to new and old music. There are tons of great artists still coming out with music. If you're not sure where to look, check out your local DJ, playlists, mixes, and your local independent radio stations.


Takuya Kuroda- Do they know (2016) 
I came across Takuya through vocalist Jose James and always dug this track



Amel Larrieux - Try your wings (2007)
Love Amel since Groove Thory, since Infinite Possibilities, Bravebird, Morning. Peep this remake of the Blossom Dearie song from 1958

Yussef Kamaal- Live at Brownswood studio (2016) Individually these cats are amazing but their joint album "Black focus" is incredible.

Agggh, there's so many great jazz records. Some you might of slept on or never heard of are artists like Meshell Ndegeocello, Kokoroko, Yazmin Lacey, Melissa Aldama, Grover Washington, or Butcher Brown. I wanna give a special shout out to this legend though.

Roy Hargove - Poetry (2003)

This was the first album that really got me hearing how dope Roy was, then I started to see his name with so many other great artists. Rest In peace brother Roy! Stay tuned for the next "Stuff I've been listening to" and drop a comment if there's someone you recommend!

No comments: