Jun 19, 2023

Stuff I've Been Listening to 24 - Synths please

 

Loose Ends (UK) - Hanging on a string 1984
Always loved Loose Ends and this classic track from them.

Welcome welcome. Here is a new post with some of my favorite synths, mostly across soul, jazz, funk, hip hop, and rock. I didn't always know that I loved synths, I just like good music. But after hearing some chatter about synths in general and some of the machines created to make the sounds, I thought I'd share some of my favorites, not the best synths ever. This is totally subjective. Enjoy.

Little Dragon (Sweden) - A Place to belong (2007)
This is the first Little Dragon song I heard from my boy Miguel. Fonky.

We Are King (Minneapolis/LA) - The Greatest (2015)
Agggh, one of the illest soul groups of recent to write and produce w/ synths!!

Squarepusher (UK) - Plaistow Flex Out (2001)
Was turned on to Squarepusher by my homie and drummer Valentino 

Pink Floyd (UK) - On the Run (1973)
Always loved this Pink Floyd album! 

Kool & The Gang (Jersey City) - Summer Madness (1974)
Classic joint from a classic jazz, rock, soul band.


What is this? 
This series is called "Stuff I've been listening to" and this is my place to share music that I listen to while I work, process, decompress, and live life. Some of it is new, some old. But I'm always listening. I share in the hopes that you will find something that inspires you. Please share with a fellow music lover.

Satoshi & Makoto (Japan) - Crepuscule Leger (2017)
New! Don't know much about these cats, but I dig it.

Jneiro Jarel (Philadelphia) - Soul Starr (2005)
Discovered Jeniro aka Dr Who Dat? at the record store and became an instant fan. 

Björk (Iceland) - Hyperballad (1995)
Heard Bjork through one of my best friends in the 90s and was blown away

Zion I w/ Mikos da Gawd (Oakland) - Saving Souls (2016)
RIP Zumbi, this is one of countless synth flavored Zion I songs


Did you miss the last installment of this series? 

Stuff I've been listening to 23: More Jazz

Stuff I've been listening to 22Instrumentals

Stuff Ive been listening to 21: Raps

Stuff Ive been listening to 17: Soul

Stuff Ive been listening to 19: UK Artists


Sexual Harrassment (Midwest US) - I need a freak (1983)
House party track tried and true. First heard it as a child.

Chaka Khan (Chicago) - What Cha Gonna do for Me? (1981)
Radio classic on kiss fm in the Bay

Marcos Valle (Brazil) - Naō Tem Nada Naō (1973)
Found this cut via Madlib!

Kraftwerk (Germany) - Numbers (1981)
These cats are German, but this is straight up electro classic hip hop material. 

Ok, one last one fam....
Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein (Austin) - Kids (2016)

Discovered the guys through the Stranger Things soundtrack which was both old and new, simple, yet amazing! Reminds me of 80s movies and that was the point! Keep listening to new and old music. There are tons of great artists still coming out with music. If you're not sure where to look, check out your local DJ, playlists, mixes, and your local independent radio stations......

No comments: